And Then There Were 5

July 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm (Uncategorized)

May 3 was a big day at our house. It was the day we welcomed Charles Patrick to our family. As baby deliveries go, this one was par for the course. I showed up at the hospital at 7:00am, got some pitocin, got myself a magical epidural, and the baby was born around 10:00am. Because all my Texas babies have been born quickly, there was one exciting moment where the nurse called the doctor’s office and he had to literally run across the street. That was the exact moment when Doug decided he should take a bathroom break! I love it when the doctors and nurses yell at my husband for his ridiculous timing! Nothing like holding a baby in to accommodate someone’s bladder! (Was that too much information?!)

The birth itself went very smoothly, so it doesn’t require a lot of commentary, besides, I don’t want to make you all jealous with my awesome birth experience. I’ll just say, no pain does not mean no gain!

Baby Charles was pretty much perfect. He was a week early and weighed in at a very healthy 8lb. 40z. He was very alert from the beginning. He had a full head of black hair, and all of his fingers and toes were accounted for.

We stayed at the hospital for just one night, because even though they have cable tv, I still prefer my own bed. Also, I was at a new hospital that doesn’t deliver a lot of babies, which means that they don’t fully staff their nurser. What does that mean for me? I had to keep the baby in the room all night. Well, I can do that at home, and no one’s waking me up every few hours to check my temperature! The one nice thing about no nursery is that they didn’t take the baby anywhere after he was born. They did the first bath in the room. So, normally where the baby is gone for a couple of hours, he was with us the entire time.

This really was a wonderful experience for our family. Obviously I’m not writing everything here. Suffice it to say, we are very happy.

I leave you with a witty Dougism. I had an appointment with my doctor on May 2nd, and that’s where he told me that I could deliver the baby on the 3rd. I was so excited because I was done being pregnant. I called Doug from the parking lot and told him. His response? “That’s not really a good day for me. Can we make it Wednesday instead?”

p.s. A special thanks to my dad who watched the other 4 kids while we were at the hospital.



  1. sharleen said,

    And we are very happy for all of you! The week before Grace came, Warren told me that it wasn’t a good week for the baby to come and she needed to come the next week. Good thing Grace is so accomodating. My water broke on the first “OK” day to have the baby! Doug and Warren must be related or something! So glad that things seem to go so smoothly for you all . . . but I think a lot of that “smoothness” comes from your positive attitude, so way to go!

  2. nisa said,

    When I woke up from surgery on the 8th I thought all day long about the many times I’ve suffered in the hospital. I wished it were for a joyous reason. It wasn’t. And I’m so delighted to know that someone special was having a joyous experience at a hospital on the very same day. You and your sweet baby are the most lovely thing I’ve seen all day!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: